Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Coming soon: Atlas Shrugged, the movie!

One of my former students in the Great Current Books class at Adrian College has just tipped me off that Atlas Shrugged, one of the books we read, is being made into a movie. Details here.

In the Great Current Books classes, which met at our house on Wednesday evenings during my last eight years at the College, I always used open-book, take-home final exams. Students would write an essay discussing one of a dozen or more alternate questions. One question I liked to ask was to consider the problems and opportunities that would be presented in making the book into a movie. Although I never said so, I always thought that turning Atlas Shrugged into a movie would be nearly impossible, though perhaps not quite as impossible as one of the other books we read in that class, Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (not to mention T8me Enough For Love, another Heinlein work we also read!). So I'll be very interested to see how this movie turns out.

This movie is billed as "Part I" of three parts, and as I recall some students thought Atlas Shrugged might be best as a miniseries rather than a single film, so they must have been on to something.

If any of the students who took this class sees this blog, I'd enjoy hearing their reactions after they see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are e-mailed to me. I will post excerpts from those I think will most interest readers.