Sunday, March 22, 2020

Two poems by my mother, Helen Childs deLespinasse

Thanks to being under virtual house arrest during the Coronavirus crisis,  this afternoon I started trying to clean out my Fibber McGee's closet in my study.  I have found some surprising things, including a metal file box filled with historical family papers, including a Bible my mother gave my father on December 25, 1934.  (They were married in 1936.)

In the Bible were two poems that my mother wrote, while they lived in Honolulu,  I imagine.  They are worth preserving and sharing.

Blessings For A Granddaughter   (uncertain which one,  perhaps all of them!)

Let her live peaceably each day, oh Lord
A true example of thy living word.
Let her be radiant, by day,  by night
Let her be happiness, let her be light
                 (OR)
Let her be radiant, a beacon bright
Let her, in happiness,  reflect thy light.


No title given

While my free soul explores the universe
seal not my body in an earthy bed,
but give my ashes to the breaking wave
off Diamond Head.

Smile at each passing cloud.
Look up with rapture at the sapphire sky
and be convinced that life goes on and on
We do not die.

Rejoice in sunshine
Revel in the rain that makes the sun more dear,
and never doubt that immortality
is Now and Here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are e-mailed to me. I will post excerpts from those I think will most interest readers.