Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A poem by my maternal grandmother, Cobie Muyskens deLespinasse

Another  treasure from the closet I am trying to clean out while under "house arrest."  My grandmother wrote three published novels, but also dabbled in poetry.  No wonder she and my mother got along so well!  (The "Frank" mentioned is my father.)

NO TITLE----it was apparently the beginning of a letter to someone.

"Twas the day before Christmas
and all through the house
nobody is moving but Frank and his spouse
as the boys are still sleeping.

It's a good time for dreams
as the rain is descending in rivers and streams.
It's the first rain we've had since clear back in September
and then 'twas darned little---not enough to remember! 

Our gaily wrapped gifts are piled under our tree
where I see there is something from you and to me!
I thought I could write you a poetic letter
but the muse has departed---so prose will be better!

But let me exclaim e'er I run out of rhyme
Merry Christmas to all---have a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are e-mailed to me. I will post excerpts from those I think will most interest readers.