Monday, March 28, 2011

Book recommendation: The Warmth of Other Suns

I think I am going to start posting reading recommendations for books I have found especially good. This will be the first such posting.

Isabel Wilkerson has written a very fine book about the migration of American black people from the south to the north and west during the years 1900-1970. The book is a combination of history and biography, with several specific individuals selected for special attention. The book gives an excellent feeling for the intolerable conditions black people faced in the south (and, to a lesser degree, not just in the south) during this period.

The book is entitled The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Stories of America's Great Migration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are e-mailed to me. I will post excerpts from those I think will most interest readers.